Friday, July 3, 2009

reflections on the past week (plus visuals)

So lets start off with some visuals:


Bonnie, the Good Food Box Coordinator.


Barbara, a volunteer and mother of five (now mostly full grown) kids. An amazing woman.


Becky, who does intake during service hours. She schooled me in doing intake properly.


Vineeth, Food Programs Coordinator. He actually started a few weeks after I was hired, so there was a lot of adjusting all around.

Now, on to a brief recap.

On Tuesday morning I went to Multicaf, a food bank and drop in meal centre located in Côte-des-Neiges. I was there to promote a pre-employability project for immigrant/visible minority women over 35 with Sandy, the coordinator of the program. Due to a mistake on my part we ended up getting there about half an hour late, but all in all we handed out quite a few pamphlets and surprisingly had some men approach our table to ask for brochures for their wives or female relatives. The highlight had to be a man in his 50s who approached our table and introduced himself to me (Sandy already knew him from the previous years she'd promoted the program at Multicaf). Apparently he used to teach philosophy at the University of Ottawa, but now he was living in Montreal doing who knows what. Anyways, this is a little dialogue that happened between us:

Man: Hey, can you play the piano?
Me: No, unfortunately I can't play any instruments.
Man: Okay, let me know if you know any piano players. It was nice to meet you.
Me: Okay, it was nice to meet you too.
Man: (walks away)

Then, a few minutes after he came back. "By the way, I'm single."

Best pickup line so far this summer.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, that definitely beats "can I ask you for directions..?"

    Congrats on getting the job, it seems perfect for you from what I've read so far!

    ReplyDelete